near field com·muni·ca·tion (NFC)
/'nir/ /fēld/ /kə,myo͞onə'kāSH(ə)n/
a tapping gesture between two devices brought together or within ~4-10 cm (~2 in) of one another creates a magnetic field that enables data exchange between devices.
a tap may occur between two mobile phones, between a mobile phone and an NFC tag or between some other type of NFC enabled device such as a wearable created for tapping on NFC tags.[use video here to show tapping on NFC tag]
by default using a powered device such as an enabled mobile phone to tap upon or near another enabled phone or other type of enabled device will automatically exchange data between the two devices.
by default using a powered device such as a mobile phone to tap upon or near an unpowered element such as an NFC tag enables data stored on the tag to automatically be read and parsed by the powered device.synonyms: IoT,RFID
- NFC requires an powered NFC-enabled device such as a mobile phone or other enabled device which create the magnetic field of induction.
- NFC requires an unpowered NFC element (tag).
/'n/ /f/ /c/ tag
a tapping gesture between two devices brought together or within ~4 cm (~2 in) of one another creates a magnetic field that enables data exchange between the NFC tag and the device used to tap the tag.synonyms: IoT, RFID
- NFC tags are unpowered.
- NFC tags require a powered NFC-enabled device to function.
making a tap gesture upon or near the NFC tag using an NFC-enabled device initiates the taplication’s network communication.
creating taplications is automated by tapABILITIES so people may create, modify and manage their taplications on an ongoing basis.
a taplication generates an audit trail each time its NFC tag is tapped.synonyms: objet d’ art, IoT
- Taplications require an NFC tag.
- Taplications require an NFC-enabled device to interact with the tag, typically but not neccessarily a mobile phone.
- Taplications do not require installing apps.
- Taplications do not require Wi-Fi.
- Taplications do not require Bluetooth.
- Taplications do not require an external power source.
- Taplications may be used outdoors typically within -20°C (-4°F) to 50°C (120°F).
- Taplications may be used while tags are immersed in liquids.
- Taplications may be used while tags are embedded in non-metallic solids.
- Taplications may be surfaced mounted onto metals.
- Taplications can load software from the cloud, any server or apps installed on the NFC-enabled mobile device.
- Taplications can function for a tag’s life span typically specified as ten years but may live longer depending on environmental circumstances.